|Before Fred French showed up: Prospect Place (now Tudor City Place), 1925|
In the end, Gans assembled the five-acre parcel it in a record 35 days, acquiring 96 buildings for $7,500,000. There were some holdouts: three rowhouses on 43rd Street, and one on 41st Street, which remain in place today as part of the Tudor City Historic District.
But then there was 8 Prospect Place, a dilapidated, 4-story relic at the southern end of the street. Its owner bought the property in 1925 for $27,000, then steadfastly refused offers from Fred French that started at $50,000 and escalated to $185,000. Finally, the French Company acquired it in 1945, and the entire lot, united at last, was opened as Tudor Gardens (2 Tudor City Place) in 1956.
|Holdout 8 Prospect Place (arrows) kept the large lot opposite Windsor Tower undeveloped for over 25 years. |
View looking east from 40th St. and Second Ave.
|The good news for locals was that the vacant lot housed tennis courts in the 1930s and 1940s, a much-publicized Tudor City amenity. View looks east toward No. 5, Windsor Tower.|