The construction of the United Nations, begun in 1948, led to significant changes in Tudor City, part of the city's effort to clean up the immediate neighborhood, particularly the area around the UN’s signature building, the Secretariat. We'll explore specific alterations in more detail in future posts, but here’s an overview of the changes wrought by the UN's arrival.
42nd Street widened and leveled
Looking toward the river along 42nd St. from 2nd Avenue, pre-Tudor City. 42nd St. was then flanked by two ramp-like service roads leading up to Prospect Place. These roads were demolished and the street widened and leveled to provide a more monumental entrance to the U.N.
Entrances to the Woodstock, Hotel Tudor and Church of the Covenant lowered 17 feetSame view as top photo, during reconstruction in 1950. By eliminating the service road ramps, the Woodstock's original entrance was now 17 feet above street level, and so its basement was remade into the ground floor. Similar alterations were made to the entrances of the Hotel Tudor and Church of the Covenant.
Demolition of rowhouses and service roads, replaced by playgrounds and staircases
Modern overpass replaces 19th-century tunnel
Changes to the eastern walls of No. 25 and No. 45.
The eastern walls of Tudor and Prospect Towers along First Ave were originally lined by warehouses at street level. They were demolished and replaced by two vest-pocket parks.
Tudor City Place widened and paved with asphalt. Parks are narrowed 15 feet.Corner of Tudor City Place and 43rd Street, with the narrowing of the park just begun.
All these alterations took place over a hellish four-year period from 1948 to 1952, probably the worst four years in Tudor City history. Detours, jackhammers, explosions and soot galore made life difficult. Residents fought every change tooth and nail, but that's totally in character ‒ as we shall see in future posts, Tudor City has always been a very vocal community.
At least the local liquor store could see some humor (and profit) in the situation.