October 24, 2017

Coffee House STAINED GLASS

Today, another installment of the Stained Glass Appreciation series, this time spotlighting the windows of what was originally the Tudor City Coffee House, now home to the Preschool of America day care center.

The windows were designed and executed by Richard N. Spiers & Son, a well-regarded firm whose commissions included work for Riverside Church, St. Bartholomew's, and Temple Emanuel. The choice of Spiers is another example of Fred French's penchant for top-of-the-line embellishments for Tudor City.

Above, the northern wall of the coffee house, with some close-up detail, below. 



On the coffee house's western facade, heraldic images of a stag and a ship. 

 Inside looking out, circa 1932.
The stained glass with the sun streaming through must have been quite a sight. 


No comments:

Post a Comment