|New York Times headline, May 18, 1988|
30 years ago today, on May 17, 1988, Tudor City was designated a Historic District by the Landmarks Preservation Commission. The commission calls this "city within a city" a "pioneering venture in private urban renewal" that's "much more than an assemblage of significant buildings in a 'medieval' style. Tudor City is a highly successful attempt to modernize that style."
NYC's 52nd historic district includes thirteen buildings constructed by the French Company:
The Cloister, opened fall 1928
Essex House, opened Oct 6, 1929
Haddon Hall, opened Jan 1, 1929
Hardwicke Hall, opened Jan 1, 1929
Hatfield House, opened Jan 1, 1929
The Hermitage, opened fall 1928
Hotel Tudor, opened Oct 1, 1930
The Manor, opened Sept 30, 1927
Prospect Tower, opened Sept 30, 1927
Tudor Gardens, opened 1956
Tudor Tower, opened summer 1928
Windsor Tower, opened Jan 1, 1930
Woodstock Tower, opened May 1, 1929
Six additional buildings, predating Tudor City, are also landmarked: the 1871 Church of the Covenant, four rowhouses from 1870, and the 1926 Prospect Hill Apartments. Most significantly, the enclave's two private parks are included in the historic district, preserving them from future development. There's a collective sigh of relief throughout the community.
Read the entire Tudor City Historic District Designation Report here.