The rowhouse at 340 E. 43rd Street, constructed in 1870, was landmarked in 1988 as part of the Tudor City Historic District. It looks much the same now as it did when the Wurts Brothers photographed it in 1946.
The most obvious difference are the missing architectural details around its windows, starting with the lintels. They were most likely removed in the 1980s, following the enactment of Local Law 10, mandating inspection of building facades after falling masonry around the city killed several pedestrians. Many buildings stripped away these details rather than repairing and maintaining them, and we suspect such was the case at No. 340.