|Newspaper ad detail, 1934|
It was renamed Tudor City Place in 1947, for the most pragmatic of reasons -- more efficient mail delivery. Seems that a lot of mail meant for Tudor City was being delivered to the other Prospect Place, in Brooklyn. Thus it was decided to rename the street.
|New signage in place, November 1947.|
Locals proposed many ideas for the name to the French Company, among them:
Tudor City Heights
United Nations Place
But the French Company preferred Tudor City Place -- most likely for marketing purposes -- and that was the name eventually approved by the New York City Council.
|The old name lives on today at No. 5, Windsor Tower, etched in stone.|