Continuing our new series featuring area artifacts, today we examine a really rare item, an original iron lamppost from 1927 that somehow still stands in the North Park.
How this particular lamppost came to be saved is unknown, but today it's marked by a plaque, and is a natural point of interest on any tour of Tudor City.
|The lamppost, looking very atmospheric, in 1942. It still stands in the same spot -- the northwest corner of the North Park, adjacent to the brownstone at 340 E. 43rd St.|
|The lamppost was restored in 2006 by resident Bette McKean, wife of John McKean.|