|320 E. 42nd Street, at sunrise|
➺ Opened May 1, 1929. Faced with red brick, trimmed with limestone and terra cotta. It once had a spire, removed in the 1940s for reasons unknown.
➺ 459 apartments, arranged over 32 stories. The tallest building in Tudor City (and the tallest apartment building in Manhattan when it first opened). Most units are studios, with some one- and two-bedroom apartments on the upper floors.
➺ Opened as an Apartment Hotel (efficiency apartments offering hotel amenities like room service from the on-premises restaurant, plus maid and laundry services, for an additional fee). The original onsite restaurant was converted to a club room around 1942.
➺ In 1951-52, the entrance to The Woodstock was lowered 17 feet as part of the regrading of 42nd St., and the first basement became the ground floor.
|Newspaper ad, March 10, 1929. The "apartments of the future" feature |
31 feet-long living rooms with five windows.
|Floor plan, 1930|
|Entire floor plan, 1930. The apartments of the future are the corner units.|
|A massive terra cotta lion guards a 23rd-floor terrace|