January 4, 2017

THEN AND NOW

The 43rd Street staircase, then and now.
1950
This original staircase leading down to 1st Ave. from the 43rd St. dead end was built around 1877. It remained in place until 1950, when it was demolished and replaced as part of neighborhood spruce-up concurrent with the arrival of the United Nations.

2017
Today, in its place, stand the Sharansky Steps and Isaiah Wall, subjects of future posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment