|The tennis courts in 1935, in a view looking north|
But the lot is best remembered as the site of the Tudor City tennis courts, inaugurated in May, 1933. They were one of the few outdoor courts in Manhattan, and many exhibition matches were played there over the years, featuring national champs like Bill Tilden, Pancho Segura and Bobby Riggs (as well as celebs like Katharine Hepburn and Rudy Vallee).
Above, a map of the courts circa 1941. Click to enlarge.
Rate schedule for 1944.
$1 then = $14 now, $2.50 = $34, $20 = $272, $30 = $409.
Naturally, the French Company realized the public relations value of the courts, and promoted them heartily. Tennis in Tudor City ended in 1954, when 8 Prospect Place (finally acquired in 1945) was demolished and the lot developed into No. 2, Tudor Gardens.
Post a Comment