The lich gate is a British invention, a roofed gateway at the entrance to a churchyard, used in the Middle Ages as a temporary resting place for the dead before interment. Over time, they became appropriate for garden entrances as well. In Tudor City, these entrances were a match for the parks' English scheme, a sedate mix of lawns, privet hedges, and graveled walks.
|North Park lich gate, 1935, photographed by the Wurts Bros. |
View looks west across Prospect Place (now Tudor City Place).
|South Park lich gate, 1949, photographed by resident C.F. Davis.|
|1930s ads picturing the gates.|
|Looking down at the North Park from a window in The Cloister. Lich gate at upper left, opening onto a graveled oval with a fountain as its centerpiece.|
The gates were removed in 1949 when the parks were narrowed and redesigned as part of the neighborhood upgrades pending the arrival of the United Nations.